Monday 30 April 2012

Newspaper report and reasons

My intended house style for the newspaper is to be similar to a mix between Manchester Evening News and the Salford Advertiser. It will resemble the MEN through the font and general layout of the front page. I have chosen to cross it between these two newspapers because in my questionnaire, most people said that Salford Advertiser and MEN were the ones they bought most often. The font is mostly the standard Word fonts such as Times New Roman and Sans Serif. On the double page spread is where the resemblance of the Salford Advertiser will come into it. The layout will be similar to the Advertiser through a large picture in the middle of a page surrounded by text. There will also be MEN styles on the inside pages as I will place smaller articles on the page with a large advert around the sides and bottom of the page. There will also be a couple of competitions or vouchers for a local shopping centre or cinema, such as Trafford Centre or Salford Quay’s Lowry as they are two popular places for people in residing in Salford. These competitions and vouchers might even entice people who have visited Manchester from far away into buying the paper for the voucher and possibly have a look at what the newspaper has to offer as well. I would also include links to social networking sites such as facebook and twitter, for readers to follow and get updates on breaking news and competitions. I intend to write about news that will be mostly local and interesting or thrilling for the community, such as news about a school doing well or a local sports team competing in a high profile event. I will also write about upcoming events around the local area where my newspaper will be sold (Salford). There will also be some crime and political articles as people who I surveyed had said they also enjoy reading those kinds of news articles. These articles would be suitable for a local newspaper because local papers tend to sell to parents, friends and family of people in the newspaper quite well therefore photos would help because the parents like to see their child in the paper. The political articles would cover the political news around Manchester, such as recently the first Salford Mayor being elected. Since this is a Salford Manchester local newspaper, the news would not be able to spread outside of Salford unless there was a clear link to Salford or it was a high profile story, otherwise people would not be interested in buying the “local” paper. I will have to take into account the style of writing used as a local paper’s way with words tends to differ from that of a national paper. The photography I plan to involve with my newspaper would be a picture of a stack of coins, a group of smart phones and a picture for the advert. It would be general photos for these stories that just indicate what an article is about, but there could also be photos to strengthen an article such as an article about a crime could have a photo of the victim’s injuries, items stolen, suspect, etc. There is also a photo of the free magazine inside the newspaper, to show people what they will be getting. I intend to gather the photos of phones by gathering my friend's phones and the stack of coins by obviously stacking coins. I could also take a photo of a friend looking focused on work at a desk with pen and paper in front of them in college if I had an article about a school or college attaining high grades. I will make sure to review any health and safety issues that may be present when taking any photographs. I think it may be too hard to be lucky enough to take a photo of someone in politics giving a speech or sat in a car and therefore might refrain from writing an article about a specific political person and keep a political article down to if the government is raising more funds on something in which case there would be no need for a photograph, except for perhaps a stack of coins. The preparation I must complete before I start on the final construct of my paper is to find out if I will be able to get the photos I plan on acquiring. I will also research into what local events may be happening that could make news. I should also draft possible articles and find inspiration for the articles. Also I will revise the layout of my newspaper to make sure that the front page which is MEN styled will flow into the Salford Advertiser styled double page and read in detail how the language is different in a local paper to a national paper. I will decide on a price for the paper by seeing how much the other local papers charge, although it looks to be in the range of 50p-80p.

No comments:

Post a Comment